Sunday, September 27, 2015

Rule 327: Change the Bait!

August 5, 2015

Time is flying so fast, I can't believe it is P day again! We had a
good solid week here Modena. My poor companion has a really bad cold,
whoops "allergies" (we are trying to be optimistic). The poor girl has
a really bad cough which makes teaching lessons pretty difficult.
We had dinner with Alice, our investigator who did a foreign exchange
program in Oregon and just barely got back. She stayed with a member
family there and is used to the missionaries. She asked if people fed
us a lot like in America they feed the missionaries, and we told her
they don't really feed us here. So she decided to make us dinner
herself, she really is the sweetest! It was really cool because her
friend from Oregon was visiting too! This friend is actually atheist.
It surprised me how hard it was to get over my fears of not offending
her and share my testimony of the fact that we do have a Heavenly
Father who loves us very much. I have never struggled talking to an
atheist before. We meet them all the time here. As I was pondering why that
lesson was unusually hard I realized that the lesson was in English. I
have never given it much thought before but it really is true that I
am called in the language of Italian. I am much more confident in the
Italian language. Even though I don't speak it perfectly I really
enjoy teaching in Italian. I know the Gift of Tongues, it's easier to
feel the spirit guide when I am speaking Italian.

With the rest of my family I started the "read the Book of Mormon 3
times in 90 days" challenge on Derreks's birthday, August 1st. My
companion is doing it with me! I have to say, it's not easy to read 18
pages a day, but it is worth it. I love the Book of Mormon and I am
excited to read it 3 more times before the end of my mission. It truly
amazes me how that Book always has the words I need for that day in
specific. I also absolutely love Nephi. He was such a humble person and
recognizes the hand of the Lord in everything he does.

I absolutely love the people we are working with here. They are some
of the most incredible people I ever met in my life. They are truly
changing their lives to align their will with God's. That takes
incredible humility. That takes incredible courage. Honestly there are
4 people here who could be baptized tomorrow. However, each has there
own block, whether it be cancer treatments, work on Sundays, or living
with someone they are not married to. All want to change, all want to
follow Christ but in order to take the next step some HUGE sacrifices
need to be made. If I was in their positions I don't know what I would
do. All I can do is pray and fast. And say and do the things Heavenly
Father would have me say and do. Sometimes if feels like I'm pushing
against a brick wall; but even that makes you stronger. We had a
beautiful lesson with one of our investigators who is facing one of
these problems. All we talked about during the lesson was our Savior,
Jesus Christ. The Spirit was so strong in that lesson. After the
closing prayer no one could say a word. Our investigator just sat
there, soaking it all in. It was as if she was trying to take hold of
the spirit so she could  keep it with her even after we left, even when times
got a little tough that week. I never wanted more for her to have the
Gift of the Holy Ghost. It will change her life. It will give her the
strength she needs. I wish I could take her trials away, I wish she
were able to be baptized this week, or even this month. She is ready.
She thinks so, Bishop thinks so, the whole ward thinks so, I think so,
but it's not about what we think. There is One whose thoughts are
higher than our thoughts, whose plan is divine, and who knows exactly
what He is doing. Like Nephi, "I know in whom I have trusted." And if
He wants me and my investigators to push against a few brick walls
then we will keep pushing. We will push until we are as strong as He
needs us to be. I don't understand all things, but I know God does.
And I trust in His plan.

Vi voglio bene
,
Sorella Dani Hamblin


Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment