Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Rule 210: When in Italy....speak English?

April 15, 2015

Mamma Mia. What a week! As we are trying to be extra consecrated as we prepare for our conference with Anziano Bednar we are seeing miracles pop up everywhere -- kind of like all the beautiful spring blossoms!!!

Wednesday: We made transfer guesses. Okay, we were sure we were going to stay together because we are in the middle of  training. But it's a mission tradition to make guesses with Kinder Eggs. 

Thursday: We had Zone Training. We had a great training on the scriptures and how we can use scripture chains more in our work :)

Friday: We visited one of our less active. She is wonderful! We wanted to use President Monson's conference talk to invite her to prepare for the temple. Well we got to her house and sat down at the table and the first thing she says to us is that she watched conference and her favorite talk was President Monson's and that she wanted to go to the temple. What?!!   Sorella Distante and I were Flabbergasted. (okay I have no idea how to spell that) but we were speechless. I started laughing and my comp started crying. Well we are happy to say that this wonderful sister has talked to the Bishop and is making preparations to go to the temple in September. She wants to go now but we know she will be even stronger in September. 

GARA DI TORTE (Cake Contest) I thought it was going to be a GUERRA di Torte (Cake War!) I told all our investigators it was a cake war... ooops. Despite that it was was really fun! We were running a little late and we had about ten guys ask us out on the bus ride over (something about spring is making the men more bold :P) I feel bad because I keep giving them the Anziani's number, poor Anziani! But who am I to deny them the blessings of the gospel!) Anyways... Cake Contest. On our way over we ran into a less active. She said that she was going to a meeting but we told her that instead she was going to the ward activity with us... and she did! She even called her coworker and told her to come! And she did! We also had our  investigators Lisa and Chiara come! And another less active!! My companion was a judge for the contest (they didn't let the American missionaries judge) and I was running form investigator to less active to investigator. It was great! I felt like a missionary in South America! Haha! Seriously, it was a wonderful night, but I didn't win... the Bishop did... figures!

Saturday: You know, I totally forgot what happened Saturday... I'm sure it was great!

Sunday: Church miracles! On Sunday we were very happy to have two less actives come to church for the first time. During Sacrament meeting our investigator Loredana walked in. She hasn't let us come over in weeks so we were pretty surprised. We were able to sit by her and there was a strong spirit. She said she wants to see us as soon as possible. I know she is ready to receive an invitation to baptism and we are praying we will be able to see her as soon as possible. Also another young woman walked in during Sacrament meeting. Her name is Lin and she is from China. She doesn't speak any Italian. She went to church when she lived in Salt Lake. She found the Church online and decided to come on Sunday. She said she isn't a member because she doesn't want to give up coffee but she likes the atmosphere of our church. We got her number and she said when she wasn't busy we could start teaching her. 

Monday: Sorella Distante and I taught the District Training. We talked about the importance of talking with everyone and what it means to give all our heart, might, mind, and strength. At the end of the day we realized that we had 10 minutes left in the day so we decided to try one more person. He was our miracle for the day! His name was Andy and he is from the Philippines. When we walked up to him he said Mormons. -_- Yeah he wasn't very excited to talk to us but after a few minutes he actually opened up and he said we could visit his family this weekend. Yay for last minute contacting! The only problem is that he only speaks English. My companion can't participate. 

Tuesday: Last night we accidentally missed our bus stop where we usually change buses on the way home. We saw our bus (number 11) drive away. We barely missed it!! But we know all too well that these things all happen for a reason. We met a handicapped young man named John who truly humbled us. He couldn't walk very well but he was just happy to be here and to have a job. He only spoke English as well. We had a wonderful conversation about God and about how he loves us. Sorella Distante and I were truly touched and he made our whole night. We got on our bus just floating but the miracles were not done quite yet. We met a less active who had just got back from Peru that day! She said she would come to church on Sunday. 

It seems like everyday we are meeting a new less active. It is so wonderful to see and feel how much God loves these people. I love this city! I get a confirmation everyday that we are doing the Lord's work, even if we don't have the highest "numbers". My incredible companion pushes me to work and I literally drop and I remind her to learn to be kind to herself and that it is okay to take a moment to be still. I love her so much and we are learning so much together. I am so thankful that I have her by my side everyday. But its her fault we keep getting all the English speakers... she is praying for opportunities to learn... and she is getting them. I actually like to teach in Italian more but if this is going to help my companion then I will embrace all our new English speaking friends. The Lord knows what he is doing!!

Vi voglio bene,

Sorella Dani Hamblin 


My companion judging the cake contest.


Zone Conference...

No comments:

Post a Comment